Okay so there is a lot going on here, and I feel like I stepped into the middle of a hornets nest without even knowing it.
My Goal is to help YOU discover the joy, beauty, and art of power relief carving with a high-speed engraver.
That has always been the goal of the Carving On Wood.com website. I love woodcarving, and I want to share the joy and personal satisfaction that I experience while carving.
Customer Service Issues Surrounding SCM Systems
- Yes, I have been receiving emails from you about Customer Service related issues after purchasing equipment from SCM Systems.
- Yes, I can only say to, ‘Stick with it, and work with the company’. **And you know that is what I have told you should you be one who contacted me with your frustrations about this.
SCM In response to recent posts and videos I have done.
I was personally contacted by the owner of SCM Systems, and we had a good discussion. I told him specifically about the customer service related issues that you had contacted me about.
He said that customer service is an area that they have been struggling with for a while, but it is something that is being addressed. They are striving to improve this aspect of their business. (As we all must do in business.)
I personally believe that customer service is one of the most important aspects of a service based business.
Equipment Issues With The 400XS High-Speed engraver
This is where things start to get complicated, and why I feel like I have stepped into a hornets nest.
There is a lot of “extras” going on here. It is not all related to just SCM Systems, but some of their past distributors as well.
I am not going to go into details here because I don’t know that I have the full story from everyone involved. I also feel that I have no right to be disparaging to any company. It is up to them to work things out.
I can tell you this, to the best of my knowledge, after talking with the owner of SCM that the turbine that comes with the 400XS, should you purchase one today from SCM Systems, is the same turbine that I have in my hand piece.
At one point they tested some options out, over a year ago, and quickly found that the option did not hold up to customers use. They quickly changed things back, and worked with their customers to repair and replace any defective parts.
I Am Staying Neutral
Beyond this I cannot specifically state anything. I ordered my 400XS over 3 years ago. This tool has been a great tool for me.
I am not affiliated with any company, and have decided to keep that position. There are not that many suppliers of high-speed engravers, and that makes the community to small for me to take sides.
I do NOT like that equipment companies fight for market share. But, it is the same with any other industry as well. There will always be a competitive aspect for market share and customer sales. This can be done in a positive way or a negative way.
I do not want to become a part of this aspect of high-speed engraver use, and so I choose to remain neutral.
The Main Reasons Why EVERY High-Speed Engraver Will Fail
This list is quite short, and most of the reasons are due to YOUR personal carving habits. These reasons are:
- You are running the tool with the air pressure set to high. (**follow the recommendations set by the manufacturer. Running at excessively high rpm’s places to much stress on the turbine. **)
- You are not using a moisture filter. (**Any moisture that enters the hand piece can damage the turbine. The turbine is not meant to be flooded with excess moisture of any kind. Again follow manufacturer recommendations. There are some differences with hand pieces that use oil in their operation. Again follow all manufacturer recommendations.**)
- You are being to aggressive with your carving strokes. (**Just because it is a POWER tool does not mean you can be aggressive with the tool. I state over and over again that, ‘You need to let the tool do the work. If the burr stops in the material you are carving you are being to aggressive.’ Being to aggressive will kill every turbine in every hand piece regardless of manufacturer.**)
- Your burr is not rated for use with a high-speed engraver. (**There are a lot of burrs on the market, but if the burr is not recommended for 300,000 – 400,000 rpm’s the burr could damage/injure the hand piece or you.**)
- Running a burr that has a bent shaft. (**A bent shaft on any burr puts huge amounts of torque on the turbine. This added torque can quickly destroy the barrings of the turbine. DO NOT RUN BURRS THAT HAVE A BENT SHAFT. If the burr looks like it is wobbling more than usual stop using it.**)
- You get a bad turbine. (**Every product ever manufactured can have a few defective products among all the good products. This should be expected of ALL high-speed engravers regardless of manufacturer. That is why good quality customer service is important.**)
As you can see most of the problems that require customer service, and can make you frustrated with the tool, equipment, and monetary investment that you have made stem from improper use or not understanding HOW-TO use the equipment.
Regardless of manufacturer or company, quality customer service is what will help you navigate problems with your high-speed engraver.
BUT, should you continue to misuse the tool you will inevitably become victim to the same thing happening again.
That is why I have gone to great lengths to help you discover the proper uses of the high-speed engraver, and how you can keep the tool running strong for years to come in my training videos.
I Offer NO Guarantees With Regards To Equipment Purchases
I can only offer my recommendations, as far as my experience will allow, and that is simply my recommendation.
Should you choose to listen to my recommendation you do so at your own risk. I cannot guarantee what other companies will do, or how they choose to run their businesses.
My business is specifically in the realm of helping you discover the joys of power carving and power relief carving. I will continue to do the best that I can to provide the best training and up-to-date information on tools and equipment, but as things change I cannot be expected to be an intermediary for you with tools and equipment purchases.
I will continue to do the best I can to help you learn and master the skills you need to have fun with power carving. I want you to succeed. I am happy to answer any question I can, and be of service as a coach and friend.
We are all on this journey together.
My Recommendation Of The 400XS
YES, I will continue to recommend the 400XS high-speed engraver. This is the tool that I started with, and it has performed really well. Things change, and I have no control over those changes. After speaking with the owner of SCM Systems, and learning more about what is happening between “Company Competition” all I can offer is:
Do your research, talk to every company, and base your decision on the information that you have available to you. That is all any of us can do.
Should you have customer service issues with this company I am happy to listen, but I have no affiliation with this company beyond that of being a customer. I can pass your frustration on to them, and hopefully they can come up with a solution that all parties can be happy with.
Problems With Any High-Speed Engraver
Should you have problems with ANY high-speed engraver please refer to the top of the article where I talk about the most common reasons for tool failure.
YOU could be just as much of the problem as YOU can also be the solution.
Please learn the proper uses for the high-speed engraver, and how to control the tool. This will save you a lot of frustration later on.