002 Carving On Wood Podcast – Interview with James Buie
One of the best parts about being a woodcarver is being able to talk to so many wonderfully talented woodcarvers. There is so much that we can all learn from other woodcarvers.
It does not matter what tools are used in a woodcarving. There are so many principles of art and woodcarving that transcend the tool being used that we can all learn and discover new things about woodcarving together.
Interview With James Buie
I have had the great opportunity to interview James Buie who is a wonderful woodcarver, and has been carving for many years. His Nativity Scenes are wonderful, and he also has a very fun Noah’s Ark Set with animals and all.
I had a wonderful time talking with James. He has a great deal of experience with art and woodcarving. There are many times in life when we have to look for way to keep on doing what we love to do. For James turning to Power Carving tools was his solution.
During our talk together we discussed a great many things.
He is a founding member of the Pearl River Woodcarvers in Mississippi. This is one woodcarving group that has been around for a few decades now, and has seen strong growth in their community of carvers.
Some of the great points that James hits on are:
- Ways to build a successful woodcarving club in your own area.
- The importance of having a newsletter, and taking the time to set up the right way.
- How the beauty of the wood has affected the look of his finished pieces.
- The benefits of using clay to develop woodcarvings.
- Having fun, and helping others get started woodcarving.
- How power carving tools have allowed him to keep carving when health issues looked like they were going to force him to stop.
- The joys of having a woodcarving group that meets often, and helps each other out.
- How sharing the wonderful world of woodcarving brings joy and satisfaction to others and one’s self.
- The importance of keeping your tools in good condition, and doing maintenance on power carving tools regularly.
- What burrs he uses the most, and why you don’t need a lot of tools to get the job done.
- Much, much more…
It was wonderful to talk with James. To discover more of what he does please visit:
If you are in the area of Mississippi, and would like to check out a great woodcarving club visit the Pearl River Woodcarvers here:
Be safe, have fun, and enjoy all your woodcarving experiences.